Visit our Photo Albums!

Monday, August 2, 2010

It's Coming Along!

The honeybee stencil my mother made.


Honey candy booth!


You get the first sneak preview of the newly painted main honey booth.


The honey ice cream and honey lemonade booth


As mentioned in earlier posts, one recently acquired venture is helping to keep my and the sled dogs' heads above water and it is coming along nicely! My mother flew up from Arkansas where they have chosen to retire, to help paint the Minnesota Honey Producers State Fair Booth. We began painting last Thursday and just finished yesterday. Hailey even pitched in for a day.

It has been an exhausting but fulfilling spring and summer trying to create the inner workings of this booth that dates back to the early 1900s, from sourcing products to contacting and getting to know producers to hiring employees (11 of them!) and working with independent contractors.

For this contract I have had to learn all about employee laws, payroll, state and federal label requirements, health codes and safe food handling procedure and new business computer programs. All of this on top of a busy lifestyle with the sled dogs and our Points Unknown business, my beeswax candle business, my appraisal business and just my basic day to day happenings renders me a zombie by the end of each day. I find myself wandering around the house with the "on" button stuck "on" when I do have a few minutes, thinking to myself that this just can't be for real. There has to be something else that needs to be done. I couldn't possibly have done everything on my list for the day.

I am thankful for all of you who lend a hand when you can. It may not seem like much, but every little thing does count and makes my day and week a lot easier. You know who you are. Thank you.

If you would like to support the Minnesota Honey Producers and indirectly, the Points Unknown Sled Dogs, please visit the MN Honey Producers State Fair Booth where you'll find many unique bee products that you will not likely find all in one place and some things you can't find anywhere else! We've got honey ice cream, honey lemonade, honey taffy, honey caramel corn (on-a-stick of course!), honey filled candy, honey stix, honey shortbread cookies, beeswax candles, pollen, lotions, balms, salves, honey BBQ sauces and honey mustards and honey, honey and more HONEY! The special honey varieties you will find at our booth include clover, basswood, sage, orange blossom, buckwheat, blueberry blossom, cranberry blossom, sunflower and more! We're in the Ag-Hort building right across the street from the food court. Our friends the MN Hobby Beekeepers have a wonderful display along side our booth where they have beekeeping and honey extracting demonstrations. Pretty exciting stuff!

No comments:

Post a Comment