Visit our Photo Albums!

Sunday, December 4, 2011

Two Worlds Collide

The sunrise on the morning of "the incident".

I had to share a funny yet kind of icky story with you from last week. It was probably one of the most busy weeks I can remember which is saying a lot because every week here at Points Unknown is just plain busy with dogs, candles, dog business, appraisals, honey, etc, etc, etc.

Now then, let's add 7 beautiful tiny puppies and two older rambunctious puppies to the mix and the need to be gone during the day for most of the week with last minute notice! Let me first say that there is no way I could have gotten through last week without Lisa, Missy and most of all Kristen. These three wonderful young ladies were right there, with last minute notice, helping me take care of the precious puppies and making sure Topa got outside when she needed to. Kristen even came for the day and fed the dogs twice, took care of Topa and puppies, walked the house dogs, raked out the dog kennels, removed straw from the boxes and gave them all new so that I could just "be" after my mind numbingly long and intense week.

So, what caused my week to be in such upset? I was called upon to be an expert witness in an appraisal related jury trial in southern Minnesota. This required hours of meetings and preparation the week prior and actual testimony in court last week. The testimony kept getting put off at the last minute so I didn't know which way was up for a couple days. I procrastinated on searching for the very few court appropriate pieces of clothing in my closet until 15 minutes prior to my departure to find out that the pants I had, well, didn't quite fit and I was concerned I would split a seam when walking up to the stand! That was all I had so I had to make them work. I made certain I had a lint brush along and somehow used it twice before even getting from my bedroom to the front door. 

Topa needed to get out one last time before I left so, dressed in my super fancy clothes (of which I have one set), I removed the baby gate from the laundry room and she came prancing past me through my beeswax candles shop. Before she got to the door, she shook as dogs often do and out the door she went. After tucking her back into the laundry room and saying good bye to seven beautiful babies, I began to walk out the door. As I brushed my hand against the right side of my hair, I was stopped in my tracks by a goopy, slimy, red tinged substance. It was in my hair!  Topa, only having had her puppies a week and a half prior, was still having some post whelping drainage and, you got it, it ended up in my hair! She must have flung it when she shook just before I let her out.

Now running late, I rushed to the sink to do my best at washing it out of that portion of my hair. I had no time to take another shower. So off I went; dog hair likely all over my black outfit with pants so tight I could barely breathe and I feared I would split a seam at any moment, potential gooby stuff still in my hair and, on top of it, I awoke with a blood vessel that had burst in my left eye, likely due to stress and the onset of a cold so, in general, I looked quite the fright!

I'm happy to report that my testimony went off without a hitch, my pants didn't split, my eye is no longer blood shot, no one noticed gooby stuff in my hair and after a full day of Kristen on dog duty, I feel absolutely wonderful!

No comments:

Post a Comment