Visit our Photo Albums!

Thursday, June 6, 2013

Wicked Welcome-to-the-Northland Storm!






Last Friday, May 31st, the day we closed on the sale of our property in Watertown, I was driving to our new home in Minnesota's Arrowhead Region. As I entered Grand Marais, I thought to myself, as I looked out over Lake Superior, "Hmm, that's a very interesting sky. I might just need to stop and take a photo." The feeling passed as I drove through Grand Marais and was distracted by the hustle and bustle.  As I continued several miles northeast of Grand Marais, this apocalyptic sky appeared and it was now necessary to stop. WOW!  I panned the sky from left to right and saw the most magnificent clouds. It was nothing like I had ever seen before.

As the massive ominous cloud/fog structure in the lowest photo approached, I thought it best to get in my car and continue driving home. The storm hit the shore and it was as if the Gods and Goddesses of the Big lake were hurling fistfuls of marbles against the right side of my truck. The dime-sized hail soon ended but the wind was severe and the rain so intense I had to stop several times because I couldn't see through the windshield. The scent of balsam that had been shredded from the hail wafted from the woods abutting Lake Superior and through my truck windows. I was in complete sensory overload.

Knowing that Neil and my dogs were several miles north and potentially out of the range of the storm didn't seem to lessen the angst. I was sending as much positive energy up the hill as I could muster, hoping that the storm would dissipate before reaching them.

Arriving home, I found no damage, only wet ground and remnants of tiny bits of hail left by the storm. Relief!

The storm was a reminder from the Northland not to take nature and this wild new place we have chosen to live, for granted.

Point taken!

No comments:

Post a Comment